Friday, July 27, 2007

From My Journal: July 28, 1965


LeRoy, Illinois

I’m watching a special report on Vietnam by President Johnson. Things sound bad. They’re going to double the draft call and are sending 50,000 more men over there. It’s terrible…every day at least two or three American boys are killed. It scares me. They aren’t calling reserves yet, but if they do, Terry might have to go because I think he’ll be in the reserves for another year. And if there is war, there’s a chance Ted might go. In the Korean War, 18-year-olds were called.

President Johnson just said, “This is the most sorrowful and agonizing decision your president has ever made.”

I hear my sweet little girl waking up. She slept a long time today. She talks so much now. I can't believe she'll be two years old in September! The other day she toddled around the side of the house to get her ball, turned to me and said, “See you later, Mommie.”

Didn’t do much today. This morning, I washed two loads of clothes and hung them out on the line (I love that fresh-air scent that you don’t get when they come out of the dryer), did the dishes, straightened the house and dusted, and watched “As the World Turns.” After lunch, when Suzanne was taking her nap, I washed my hair and ironed while I was watching “The Guiding Light,” then I cleaned the bathroom.

It’s about time to start fixing supper. I’m not having much. I’ve got a beef roast in the oven, and I’m just going to have potatoes and gravy, corn on the cob, and sliced tomatoes to go along with it. (I’m not going to make a dessert. I’m still trying to lose weight…I now weigh 120 pounds!!!)

I just don’t have enough to do, and at times I get bored, but I will not leave my precious baby and go back to work. No one can take care of a baby like her own mother!

Twila Olsen called this morning and invited me to a Tupperware party tomorrow night. Don’t know if I’ll go or not. I’m kind of sick of Tupperware parties. Went to one at Irma’s last week.

Mike and Janet are coming Friday night for a cook-out.

I’m about to run out of books to read. Need to go to the library tomorrow. I’ve read just about every magazine on the news stands, and I know I shouldn’t spend so much money on them. I’ve read this month’s Ladies Home Journal, McCall’s, Better Homes & Gardens, Good Housekeeping, Glamour, Redbook, Cosmopolitan, Family Circle and many movie magazines. I also joined the Doubleday Book Club. Can’t wait for my first books to come! Two of them are “Kennedy,” by Theodore C. Sorensen, and “A Gift of Prophecy,” by that psychic, Ruth Montgomery. I just love books about spirits and the hereafter.

Simon and Garfunkel’s song, "The Sound of Silence,” is playing on the radio. I LOVE that song, and I’m going to buy the album, no matter how much it costs. Another one I really like is “Mr. Tambourine Man,” by Bob Dylan. The Byrds also have it out now, but I like Dylan’s version better. There’s just something about his voice.

We’re going to New Orleans in August. Suzanne will stay with Mother and Daddy. This will be the first time I’ve been away from her overnight, and I know I’ll miss her. But she’ll be in good hands.

No comments:

All words and pictures © 2008 Brenda G. Wooley