Monday, October 13, 2008

Real Divas Read


Another busy weekend! On Saturday night, Suzanne and I had dinner with friends, and then we saw Stomp at the Carson Center. (You talk about creating something out of nothing; those entertainers did amazing things with brooms, mops, garbage cans. And much stomping, of course!)
On Sunday morning, bright and early, Suzanne and I drove to Nashville. We dined at Noshville, one of our favorite eateries, and then we headed over to the Southern Festival of Books.
And what a festival it was...books and authors all over the place! There was every genre on display, from pickle-making to espionage. Highlights for us were readings and question-and-answer sessions with best-selling authors, Ann Patchett and Bobbie Ann Mason. Although I haven't read a book by Patchett, I plan to. She's a very motivating, funny speaker. And Bobbie Ann Mason? I've read every book she has written. She's around my age and born and raised on a farm near Mayfield, so I can really relate to her stories. Many are about working-class people in this area, someone you might see at Kentucky Oaks Mall or Wal-Mart. And she is a master at telling their stories. As you may recall, her 1985 book, In Country, was made into a movie, starring Bruce Willis.
We just missed Rick Bragg. He's an Alabama boy and one of Bill's favorite authors. I wanted him to autograph Prince of Frogtown for Bill, but he up and left the day before. Darn it! I highly recommend anything by this talented writer. My favorite is All Over But the Shoutin.' But all of his books are entertaining. His writing style is distinct, quirky, and very homespun, with dialogue so real his characters practically jump from the page and start talking to you!
Suzanne and I bought tee-shirts, of course. I have enough already, but I just couldn't resist this one. What else could a Reading Diva do? Suzanne's is rather unique, to say the least. But she's not one for the mundane, as anyone who knows her will tell you!
And now that I'm motivated, I'd better get back to my writing.


3 comments:

Rhonda Hartis Smith said...

Brenda,

Sounds like a great time--I love to read but painting takes up all my spare time now. I love to go to Nashville.

Rhonda

SandraRee said...

I wished I had the time to read.

When I was young that's all I did, mostly because I was always grounded from talking back to my parents. lol

I enjoyed reading about Rick Bragg, he sounds like a character!

Suz said...

Oh, what fun! Hmm, maybe I can put that event on my 2009 calendar. Because, among other reasons, the chance to own a "Real Divas Read" shirt may well be worth a Colorado to Nashville road trip.

All words and pictures © 2008 Brenda G. Wooley