Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Unique Life of a Hermit

When I was younger, I was on the go all the time, working full-time, getting together with friends, going to movies, shopping, running all over the place.  And when I wasn't going, I was thinking up places to go.

Since retiring, I find I love spending time at home with Bill (and Dudley), writing, thinking about writing, reading, reflecting on life, cooking, taking long walks, and just puttering around. I still enjoy visiting with family and friends, taking short vacations, dining out, and catching a movie every now and then.  But afterward, I can't wait to get home.

That is one of the reasons I enjoy Cara Swann's blog, Mad, Mad World.  She is a writer who is a widow and living alone in the Deep South.  Like me, she loves her solitude.  I suggest you check out her site; I think you will enjoy it.  A few days ago, she posted this video, Unique Life of a Hermit, and I found it very interesting.        


1 comment:

Cara said...

Thanks Brenda. I enjoy your blog very much -- and your creative writing too!

Like you, I still see family regularly, occasional friends...but have learned to live alone. Not easy at first when my husband died, learning to live by myself, never had in my life. I had the weirdest worries - what if I fall and can't get up? What if someone breaks in? On and on it went, but as time passed, all those worries were put into perspective. And now I find I do treasure this lifestyle, especially the time for reflection, reading & writing without interruption.

All words and pictures © 2008 Brenda G. Wooley