Saturday, May 16, 2009

Mom Jeans


There was a time when I wouldn't have been caught dead wearing anything that was out of style. My closet was bulging with the latest fashions, from earrings to shoes and everything in between.
But somewhere along the way my sense of fashion disappeared.
Since retirement, I've lived in jeans. Well, I dress up when I have to, like weddings, funerals, or some other formal occasion (I'm not a complete slob!). But I hate to shop, and seldom so, although I occasionally buy a few pairs of jeans. When I dress each morning, I just grab a pair, put them on, and go on about my business.
And then. It happened.
Yesterday, I stopped by my daughter's house. And as I was leaving, she walked me to the door.
"You look nice," she said.
"Thank you, sweetie."
"Your hair looks really good, and I love your blouse."
"Why, thanks!" I said, patting my hair and smoothing the sleeves of my new blouse. Suzanne is a fashion expert; she's always up to date on what's what in the fashion world. And she has impeccable taste.
She hesitated, a pained look sliding over her face. "Mom..."
"Yes?"
"I hate to tell you this..."
"What?"
"It's your jeans..."
I looked down at my jeans, "What?"
"Well," she said, placing her hand on my shoulder, "They're mom jeans.
"Mom jeans?"
"You know...tapered."
I held one leg out and looked. She was right!
"Oh, my goodness!" I said, "I was in such a hurry that I put on these old ones! I have newer ones; they're boot-cut. And I have several pair!"
"I know you do," she said, "And I knew you'd want to know."
Today I attacked my closets with the vengeance of an HGTV fashion consultant gone mad, slinging jeans all over that bedroom. I had no idea I had so many Mom jeans! Tomorrow I'm buying several more pairs of boot-cut. Maybe I'll buy a few others things, too.
Or maybe I'll just start all over and buy a whole new wardrobe. I just realized there might be some Mom dresses in my closet!

4 comments:

Suzanne said...

HA! Cute post.

Rhonda Hartis Smith said...

Brenda, you're too funny! I'm just glad to get in any of my jeans.

Michelle H. said...

Loved this post, although I'm checking my closet right now too weed out all Mom jeans.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

LOL! I have a few pairs of MOM jeans too, and unfortunately they are my most comfortable pairs! My daughter will tease me so I make sure not to waer them around her.

All words and pictures © 2008 Brenda G. Wooley